MAAWA Big Anchor Day Out
1.00pm, Sunday 17 May 2015
WA Museum – Shipwreck Galleries
Presented by Maritime Archaeology Association of WA (MAAWA) in association with WA Museum
Meet at 1.00pm outside Shipwreck Galleries at the Anchor Walk.
Are you a student or community member interested in helping with a real maritime archaeology project? MAAWA will be having a working day to record 16 anchors in front of the Shipwreck Galleries for the Big Anchor Database, celebrating both Fremantle Heritage Festival and National Archaeology Week.
The Big Anchor Project is an international database of anchors, recorded to a scientific standard for future research and made available to the public as a resource. The database is a product of the Nautical Archaeology Society (UK) – see www.biganchorproject.com for more information.
The aims of the MAAWA Big Anchor Day Out are:
- to capture data for use by the Big Anchor Project and Maritime Archaeology department at WA Museum
- to create a practical workshop that will provide hands on knowledge regarding parts of anchors and measuring anchors
- to offer a practical introduction to archaeology
- to increase MAAWA’s and WA Museum maritime archaeology public profile
- to make new friends and associates through a team building experience.
The MAAWA team look forward to seeing you at this fun day out, in which all participants will learn something about anchors and enjoy an afternoon of maritime archaeology in a small working group.
Please bring a hat and sunscreen, a clipboard, pencil, eraser and straight 30cm ruler. You may also need to bring wet weather gear.
Cost: Free event
Bookings essential: Please register your interest by email at email@example.com and include your name and a contact number.