The Royal Mint in Melbourne was opened in 1872 to manufacture coins for the colony of Victoria. The laboratories, coining rooms and workshops were demolished in the 1970s and what remains lies under a car park. As part of National Archaeology Week, the Mint Inc, along with Context and AHMS, are conducting an archaeological excavation of the Royal Mint’s former operating departments. What might they tell us about the lives of the people who have lived and worked at the Mint since the 1870s?
- Open to the public for viewing 18 – 22 May, 10am – 4pm
- 280 William Street, Melbourne (car park behind Hellenic Museum)
- Pedestrian access is between the Mint Bar and Hellenic Museum. Please take care as this is an operating car park.