Ever wondered what it’s like to be an archaeologist?
Following the success of previous Big Dig Archaeology Weekends (2011-2017) Sydney Harbour YHA,
in collaboration with Place Management NSW, The Rocks Precinct, will again run this exciting hands-on program for National Archaeology Week 2018. The program is run as a residential weekend experience, giving you the chance to learn more about archaeology by immersing yourself in excavation and conservation work on The Big Dig site, including cleaning and sorting the many artefacts you will uncover.
The program costs between $340 per person, in a 4 bed multi-share en-suite room, to $630 in a private en-suite premier room. The cost includes:
- Two nights of accommodation at Sydney Harbour YHA, directly above The Big Dig site
- All meals – breakfasts, morning teas, hot lunches, afternoon teas, dinners (Friday evening at the hostel, Saturday evening at The Australian Hotel)
- Friday ‘Burgers Night’ up on the hostel rooftop terrace, followed by a talk about archaeology and an archaeology inspired movie
- Two days of on-site excavation and conservation work, along with artefacts cleaning and sorting
- Tours of The Rocks Discovery Museum, Susannah Place Museum and an evening exploring the first weekend of ‘Vivid’, stopping for ice-creams along the way.
This weekend program is suitable for anyone 18 years and older and is a general public interest course designed to appeal to anyone who is curious about archaeology, particularly Australian Historical Archaeology.
Places are strictly limited and are offered through competition only. Applications to take part close on Monday 30th April 2018 and successful applicants will be sent an invitation to register by Friday 4th May 2018. Conditions apply.
For more information please visit www.thebigdig.com.au or email email@example.com.
Download the application form: Big-Dig-Weekend-2018-Information-Application-Form
Contact: Alison Frappell, Education and Interpretation Officer, Sydney Harbour YHA