Ever wondered what it’s like to be an archaeologist?
Following the success previous Big Dig Archaeology Weekends (2011-2016) Sydney Harbour YHA, in collaboration with Property NSW, The Rocks Precinct, will again run this exciting hands-on program for National Archaeology Week 2017. The program is run as a residential weekend experience, giving you the chance to learn more about archaeology by immersing yourself in excavation and conservation work on The Big Dig site, including cleaning and sorting the many artefacts you will discover.
The program costs between $380 per person, in a 4 bed multi-share en-suite room, to $700 in a private en-suite premier room. The cost includes:
- Two nights of accommodation at Sydney Harbour YHA, directly above The Big Dig site
- All meals – breakfasts, morning teas, hot lunches, afternoon teas, dinners (Friday evening at the hostel, Saturday evening at The Australian Hotel)
- Friday evening welcome dinner, followed by a talk on archaeology, then an archaeology inspired movie night
- Two days of on-site excavation and conservation work, and artefacts cleaning and sorting
- Tours of The Rocks Discovery Museum and Susannah Place Museum, and an evening tour and telescope session at Sydney Observatory.
This weekend program is suitable for anyone 18 years and older and is a general public interest course designed to appeal to anyone who is curious about archaeology, particularly Australian Historical Archaeology.
Places are strictly limited and offered by competition only. Applications close on 17 May.